Saturday, February 20, 2010

Things I Love About My Job

When anyone asks me, "Why do you hate your job so much?" I have to think of all of the reasons why I hate it. I think that the example of right now is perfect:

I was sent home with a rough cut DVD over the weekend to have names and lower third logged and ready to go for monday because we're making a font to put all of the names in by the end of next week. When I watch the DVD to log time codes, there is no rough lower third to reference. There is also no set of credits. I haven't ever seen this project before, because it was outsourced to an independent contractor. I called my boss to tell him this but he answered and then hung up immediately. I called back and only got a voice mail. I then texted him and said, "[Name omitted] this rough cut has no lower third."

His response was: "ok lets get it asap"

Bewildered by this cryptic response, I responded: "I would make an excel outline to commit to in FCP but there are no credits on the show either. So I don't know the names of anyone except for Ed and President Monson."

And I've had no response for half an hour.
In a nutshell, this is my job. I am assigned to do something within a three day span of time with one half-assed resource, no aid from my boss, and no real understanding or expectations of my job or its supposed results.

Everyday that I go into work it's literally as though I'm expected to identify the appearance of over 7 people I've never seen or met before and log the points in which they show up over a period of an hour and a half.

And whenever people wonder what my job is or why I'm unhappy with it, I'll just refer them to this blog post and make them read it for 4 hours straight, but only on the days when they can muster the self-confidence and will to drive 5 miles to sit in a dungeon of a building and be confused over and over and over again.

P.S. I will try to make this the last complaint about my job because I know that shit is annoying and I'm lucky to have a job, etc. But seriously, you deal with this for almost a year. You think, "Some day it'll be different. Some day it'll change." Nope. Working for a strange, restrictive, and utterly disfunctional international corporation is just as retarded as it sounds!

6 comments:

barry said...

You are not at Walgreens. You are not at Walgreens. You are not at Walgreens. You are not at Walgreens.
By the end, I wanted a job like this. I was so fed up with what i did. I was ringing the consumer out, servicing a stupid company whose ideas i couldn't defend to the customer. There was a thought on my last night when someone called in and I had to work the register, an infant could do this job. In my insanity after working a short five hour shift i almost yelled at a customer(the kind with a binder full of coupons, the douche bags) saying ", look I'm sure you can do this so ring your own self out."
You need a job where you make your own hours and are on salary!
I saw Shutter Island, pay me!

redneckzilla said...

NOT ON SALARY. I wish. If I was on salary, I'd be bitter, but I'd be quiet about the goldmine I stumbled into.

But, alas, you're right. It isn't Walgreens.

How was Shutter Island??

barry said...

ha I lied. I haven't seen it!Heard it was good and kept its own, but wasn't groundbreaking like I was hoping.
People on salary treat everyone else like bitches!

redneckzilla said...

See also: My boss. Still no answer. I'm on the clock, fuck this job.

barry said...

Whats your job title?

Daniel Steele said...

I think I ned to come into work more often and cheer you up.

 
Clicky Web Analytics