Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Merry Christmas Bank and Loan!

Some things I’m noticing:

-
Snow. Snow snow snow. I love snow. It’s ridiculous how much I love it. I mean, I always knew I loved it. But dammit, now I’m starting to appreciate it when it falls. I don’t care if it makes my car hard to see out of and gets my pant legs wet. It makes me happy inside

-
Cold weather. I love it. It makes me think of work getting done. Breath puffing out. Red, raw cheeks. Running. People shaking hands vigorously and happily. Happiness. I love this cold weather.

-
When I shop for things for my mom now, I shop most selectively for the “ease of use” option. I guess, subconsciously, I realize that technology has far surpassed my poor mother. I should have realized this when she first learned how to use craigslist and sent me every single “Help wanted” ad because she knew how to use the forward option

-
Provo finally seems like home. Or something close to it. I’ve settled in just enough so that I’m slightly nervous about leaving for Christmas. I’m excited, don’t get me wrong. I’m really really really excited. But I just feel like I’ve come to know this town just enough, just the tip of it. If I go home and come back, will it all be thrown off again? Will I stay up all night for a week again, like I did when I first got here?
I remember how scared I was of this place right after I moved in. I’d park my car at 2 a.m., walk to the bottom of the stairs in my building, take of my shoes, and tip-toe up all three flights of stairs to make sure I didn’t wake anybody up. I slept on the couch for awhile. Truthfully, I hardly slept. I read. A lot.
It’s funny to me how much I felt like an intruder. But now, I finally feel good. I stomp up the steps at two a.m. I yell in at my roommates. I still sleep pretty sporadically, but I sleep in my bed happily. Will all that get reversed? I hope not. Living on your own is hard. I want a kitty.

- I never thought the words Union, Kentucky would sound so damn good.

Merry Christmas. Happy Doomtree.

1 comment:

Natalie Jane said...

College is weird because suddenly you have two homes. And you start thinking. . .okay is this home? Or is that home? Or are neither homes? Am I a nomad? It's a very strange sensation. . . .

We can build a fort and make it a real home. Yeah? A fort home just for us. I love you.

 
Clicky Web Analytics