Monday, October 13, 2008

Snap. Crackle. Pop.

I don't know if it's the weather or what, but I'm convinced I'm getting sick. My left ear is crackling. That's probably not good. It sounds like its full of water and everytime I shift my head, so that the level of pressure is rebalanced in my ears, it's like little springs are snapping. I open my mouth, and a coil gets loose and bounces around my eustacian tubes. A Keebler elf is jumping trampoline in my ear drum.

Maybe it's the weather. It's been cold here lately. As in, freezing. And I've been walking home a lot. It's been snowing and I've been walking and breathing hard into my scarf and wool collar. Maybe that's it. But it feels so good to have hard pavement under your feet with cold wind in your face.

I never anticipated it'd be THIS beautiful out here. I drove into the canyon and through Heber Valley over the weekend. Even at night, I was just awestruck at those mountains. I was at a campfire on a summit of one of them, and it's intense how far you can see into the range even at 2 AM.

It's perfect for driving with a little heat on, listening to Jose Gonzalez and Bob Dylan. Did anybody get my Merry Christman 06 cd? Listen to it if you're ever out here and it's cold. It sits by you like a warm puppy.

Some people have less tact than Dick Cheney in a quail flush. I'll stop thinking about them.

Speaking of quails, there are quail everywhere. And we chase them yelling "Young Prince! Young Prince!" For some reason that makes us happy.

All I can think about anymore is US 42 in winter. I hope when I come home people will stay up all night, enjoying being outside in the middle of the highway, or parking lots, or car windshields, or music and empty parks again. That would be awesome.

4 comments:

Natalie Jane said...

I'm sorry about your ear. But I'm so happy the cold makes you happy. Sometimes it makes me grumpy. But I love it too. I didn't love it this morning riding my bike up the steepest hill in the world in my huge coat with my ears exposed and then when i got to work I was sweaty and smelled. .. . .but. I like it when it's just nice. ha. I make zero sane. But Utah loves you and I love you.
End of comment.

Eric Layland said...

young prince.

i love that. really. i laughed out loud. all over. i need to find some quail. and someone to chase them with. or i'll just be insane.

Natalie Jane said...

oooo baby i love you way. every day. thanks for that pot pie. you're the best in the world.

Austin said...

aye sir, count me in for the all night enjoyment (I probably should have re-phrased that) of US 42 and car windshields and music.

and we'll pretend there are quail to chase, just so I can see rex trogdon yell ""young prince!"

I actually have the Merry Christman mix still...it's most definitely a good'n.

FEEL BETTER.

 
Clicky Web Analytics