Monday, October 27, 2008

Blockers of the blue.

I like my blueblockers. A lot. I like them because I put them over my face and they make my hair sweep over the tops of them and they keep things out of my eyes. Like blue. I like them because I can look at a lot of things and they look entirely different than they would normally. Normal colors don’t exist. Things are far more cut, lined, edged. It’s like someone took the world and made every detail finer. With my glasses on I don’t have to worry about a lot. In fact sometimes I get so caught up on wearing them that I’ll realize that I’m driving or something and get instantly scared because… wow, I’m driving. I could hit something. I could run off the road. I could die. This is a side-effect of these glasses. You get so caught up in how they rest against the bridge of your nose and your forehead, in the way that the colors everywhere seem to turn off and on, that you forget where you are or what you’re doing. I like them because people look at me and see big reflective amber plates where they’re supposed to be able to read me. I like them because nobody else has them. I like them because they feel like a friend. I think other people should find something like this that they have in their life. Headphones, an ipod, a pillow, a book, a journal. Some small semblance of who they are that they constantly need near them or on them to help define them. A little placard explaining themselves and what they’re about. A Hello My Name Is sticker. Maybe this would make finding friends easier. You could look at a person and their thing, their one thing, and you could say, “That’s interesting, tell me about it.” You could ask, “What do you write about in that journal?” or “what do you find in that bottle?” Or “What do you carry in that backpack?” And then we could all show each other what we find in our things; I’d put my glasses on your face, and you’d put your headphones in my ears. I’d sip from your brown bag and you’d spill all the books and ink pens and drawing pads out of your back pack. I’d even show you my rock collection. I think that would make the world a little easier to get along with. If we were all just a little more interested in each other’s insides.

2 comments:

Natalie Jane said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Natalie Jane said...

I have my journal. Someone stopped and asked me what I was writing today and I said, "things." I love wearing your glasses.
But I also have my blanket and I always bring that to work and BOY do people ask questions. Usually, "you still have your baby blanket!?" or "do you need that to sleep?" and my favorite was Friday Michael asked, "Are you going to use that when you're married to keep your husband on his side of the bed when you're mad at him?"
The answer to all of these questions is YES.

 
Clicky Web Analytics