Tuesday, October 28, 2008

I'm Learning... I'm growing.

Provo is gorgeous right now. There’s not a cloud in the sky, the mountains are nice dusty little friends next door. I had a fun morning. I was up at 2 AM watching kung fu movies in Spanish and making pork chops. I went to bed and woke up at about 9. I made some delicious toast, slathered in chunky peanut butter and honey and cinnamon. Damn it was a good morning. Then I went to 7-11 down the street to get my daily 44 oz of Diet Coke (don’t judge). I even bought a shrimp lime cup-o-noodles (don’t judge). And then, I locked my keys in my car. And I was kind of pissed off. But then I sat outside for an hour and half and just enjoyed Provo. I never knew there were so many homeless people. Natalie’s been telling me for a long time to get a spare key to put under my car. I knew she was right; especially when the homeless black guy told me the same thing. He yelled at me to duct tape a key up there. I loved that guy because he knew JUST how to small talk. Sincere long laughs and then a pat on the shoulder to say goodbye. I think that comes with age, knowing how to talk to people like that. Homeless people are so awesome to me. I sat on the curb after I found a locksmith to call; I sat there with my cup o noodles and my big gulp and tried to look homeless. I wanted people to think it so badly. I’d love to be homeless sometimes. You see so much. Man.

So then I sat there on the curb and I saw a lot of cool things. I saw a funny bike and I saw a man with three Mexican women that were laughing really loudly and he bought them groceries, but looked very ashamed through his small smile. I saw Obama getting gas. He looked just like him. I saw people in very worn shoes and ill-fitting dress shirts getting on buses to go to work. I saw people calling about jobs. I saw a man with a walking stick and very nice clothes followed by a guy with a mustache and a can of soda walk into an alley to a research place. I got to just sit. Finally the guy from the pop-a-lock company showed up in his beautifully emblazoned truck. I don’t understand why every locksmith company gives their workmen a big truck to drive around in. They only have about 2 tools they use. It just seems silly to me. But he came in his huge truck and performed the fastest door jam service I’ve seriously ever seen. And I’ve seen a lot (Austin).


So all in all, my trip to 7-11 took about an hour and half. It cost me a little over 40 dollars. But I like to think of it that I paid to make myself sit still and enjoy the city a little bit. And I saw some cool stuff. Like a helicopter.

Of course, this all probably would have been more interesting if I hadn’t done the same thing about a month ago. I don’t deserve a car.

3 comments:

Hannah said...

Like a helicopter.

Natalie Jane said...

that is silly of them to have a big truck. let's just by you a car unlocking kit. .. but then that might get left in your car too. . .hmmmm...
but im glad you were homeless for a while. that's nice.

Austin said...

thank you for that car reference...oh and just to bring you up to speed with my current car situation, I still suck at driving, and sometimes still lock my keys inside-except I keep the back door unlocked...

 
Clicky Web Analytics