Saturday, April 3, 2010

On The Act of Turning 20:

I'm now a "20-something". I'm looking forward to owning real estate and graduating with a PhD. I'm now the demographic that gets mass-marketed Volkswagens, Ipads, fair trade coffee, wedding rings, duplexes, food blogs, Chris Martin, raybans, and Crown Royal. I have a dog and I live in SoHo. I despise the Metro. I have all the google reader hook-ups.

It's tiring being a "20-something". I have to think about my actions all the time. I have to think about my online image. I have to think about the "big stuff in life". I have to want so many things that I see on etsy and television and in Dwell. I have to get used to sleeping in a queen, alone. I have to calm my White Guilt. I have to calm my Red Guilt. I have to remember my roots, whilst simultaneously disowning them. I have to craft new roots. I have to wonder about my "career". I have to consider buying a Prius. I have to watch all of my friends on facebook get older and more desperate and more married and more and more of their pictures are of them just at bars and I have to wonder if they look at my facebook and wonder what's wrong with me. Am I being considerate enough to my grandparents on facebook?

I have to worry about my spontaneity. I have to worry about if I'm appealing to as many people as possible. I have to worry about if I can cope with inevitable failure. I have to worry about how much I worry about worrying.

PSYCHE. All I have to do is listen to R.E.M. and have a blast!

3 comments:

eliza.e.campbell said...

I've always imagined that my 20th year will be a lot like the Janet Jackson album "20 Y.O." Specifically,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaB21Qpk21s

redneckzilla said...

You imagined that your twentieth year would involve a whole lotta Jermaine Dupri?

Well that's something I deeply respect.

Austin said...

this is beautifully written.

I think you should transfer to university of phoenix and learn to be a physicians assistant, eat at golden corral, and embrace the recession

 
Clicky Web Analytics