Friday, October 9, 2009

A quick thought on hip Christian music.

Cool. I get it. I understand your message. I don't have a problem with it. People write about various topics in many genres of music; I don't have a problem whatsoever with you talking about people being made from clay or being lifted up or something or whatever. Even the LDS music that I've heard, aside from hymns I mean, ok. That's fine. It's a little belabored but I dig your deal and continue on.

But for real. The only thing that would EVER turn me off from Christian music is the subculture surrounding it. I went to find lyrics to some Derek Webb and Sandra McCracken songs and BAM. There in almost every page. Hordes of emaciated, tattooed, dudes and girls smiling beguilingly. Every dude's gotta beard. Every chick has those loose, fly away bangs. They all look humbled and endowed with knowledge. Sigh. I don't know why this bothers me. I just think that this whole Shane Claiborne thing needs to end now. For every cool Christian in a suit and tie, there are twenty dudes wearing Red Wings jersies and torn jeans to services on sunday. It's like Jesus blessed the Last Supper and they sipped their local coffee house blends and nibbled on some pita and hummus. Maybe they did. But they sure weren't listening to Half-Handed Cloud and discussing the depth of C.S. Lewis.

I guess I just don't like the subculture because it's so desperately predictable. You guys are interesting people. I like hanging out with the people that I know that are in this lifestyle. I mean, half of Northern Kentucky is like this. That's great. But I like these people for a reason: for the people they are. And when I go to parties or concerts with these people, it's like I'm talking to one giant person, and all it wants to discuss is Rob Bell or Donald Miller. And everybody is so damn aloof. No I didn't hear the latest Mars Hill podcast, but I'm sure it was a doozy.

This was incoherent and more disgruntled than I intended it to be. I just really like people for who they are, not the Christian banner they wave. I'm a Christian. I love my religion. I love your religion. But we are not friends merely because of that aspect of our personality. I like you because you're intelligent and have a lot of funny stories/jokes/memories/ways to say things.

Two last ideas: This isn't about any ONE person. And this isn't about religion. Just the idea that we need to be starving, bearded, tattooed, pierced, and wearing a thrift store t-shirt to get into heaven. Holla at me if you wearin' a suit on Sunday. Holler.

5 comments:

Austin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Austin said...

I actually find it to be really interesting. It really is a new counter-culture off our current society. They're not interested in growing either...they would be fine if they just stayed in the category of "grass roots movement" for the rest of time.

To be fair, they are doing far more good than they are harm. But I agree with you in most cases. It's always kind of annoying to find some chic hip group trying to live ironically. I always have to make sure I'm not too quick to judge. After all, I'm not perfect either, and I probably fall into my own sub-group.
But still...I tried reading Don Miller and Shane Claiborne...not a fan. Too self-loathing and narcissistic. Just because you give your life to God, it doesn't mean you have to become a self-important "revolutionary". And God knows I'm not going back to my Christian music days again. I just enjoy finding God in people and places.
And while most of the time I don't see truth in their business marketing of Christianity, I respect them. They are opening minds to God (in one way or another) and there is nothing wrong with that.

Holler.

redneckzilla said...

Like I said -- not about religion. I can respect what they're doing and how they're living their lives. They're productive members of a community and try their best to help others. Love it. It's great. But it's this whole idea of fashion and style that I find ... obnoxious for lack of a better word. Like it's something to put a face on. Gauges and hemp mean God is cool. God can be cool see? Listen to this song! It's about God, it's cool! It's like. Yeah. I like the song. I like God. I don't need you to make that your personality.

Like when we'd go to The Summit or something. I liked all of those people and I got along with them but at the same time I felt obstinately excluded. Call me quick to judge, but I honestly think it's because there's not much behind that idea that their identity is in trendy clothes and books and God. I wasn't rocking a "Jesus For President" shirt and I sure as hell didn't smell like patchouli, so I wasn't getting invited to Steak and Shake, you know?

S'all.

Hannah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hannah said...

Haha, I wrote a really long comment. But then I was like, nah.
Here's my opinion:
People are sinners and they really suck.
Christians are bad examples of Christ most of the time.
God is so good, and I just want more of Him.
(also, this is no where near a NEW counter-culture off current society. Super old.)
(and dude, seriously, hipsters are assholes, who cares if they love Jesus.)
(But I do, love Jesus, so much I can't stand it.)

 
Clicky Web Analytics